Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Getting to Know The Gulf Stream

E is for empty. This is a good thing!

Maybe it is too soon in our relationship to talk about this, but this is the reality of living in a camper. There are certain down sides to my simplified life. Some involving smells, solids, liquids and gases. First let me explain this control panel. This is how I can tell how much black water, gray water and fresh water I have at any one time. Black water, for those of you who are wondering, is waste water and I mean that in a very literal sense. Gray water is waste water from the sinks in the camper. I have a small request if you come and visit me, please go number two in the main house and not in the Gulf Stream. If you have ever traveled on a bus or in an RV you know why I have this rule. Every couple days I check the levels on the control panel and then flush the camper.


Hook ups for gray and black water

 Pull gray lever and black lever to empty


 Step one in flushing out the tanks is moving the garbage cans out of the way. Step two is flushing the black water first and the gray water second. Then once a month I use an Oxi-Kem holding tank treatment to further cleanse the tank and prevent odors. I laugh at the prevent odors part, this product has its own aroma that reminds me of moth balls and Windex.
Water Heater and Pilot Light
 For hot water, I have two propane tanks and this water heater. Every so often I have to change the tanks and re-light the pilot light. I don't have a whole lot confidence in this set up. We have had the fire alarm go off and had a gas leak. I am very blessed that the girls were not around and I was not in the camper at the time. Needless to say, I shower in the main house and just wash dishes in the camper.
I must admit that the thought of all this makes me laugh and reminds me of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation with cousin Eddie's RV.







No comments:

Post a Comment