Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Trailer Treasures

I wanted to share one of my best finds since moving to Florida. I really enjoy going to thrift stores, antique shops, and garage sales. You never know what you will come across and someone else's junk can be a real treasure. I found this 1950 copy of Audubon's Birds of America for $2.00 at an antique shop a few months back. I love the green binding and graphic pattern of feathers on the cover. The illustrations are beautiful and the book has been great reference in identifying birds for the girls and I. On December 6 2010, a first edition copy of Birds of America was sold at a Sotheby's auction for $11.5 million, a record price for a single printed book. My copy does not have the original dust jacket and is worn in places. I found a few online for around $50.00. I am pleased with my discovery and love that I am using it all the time. Here are some shots of my treasure and some of birds that frequent our backyard.

Binding

Front Cover

Title Page

Swallow-Tailed Kite

Sandhill Crane

Ibis

Little Blue Heron

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Was interested in how the book looked when you told me about it a couple months ago; a great find and very useful too. Plus you get that fantastic old book smell. There's just something magical about it - though that could just be my inner nerd talking.

    ReplyDelete